Salem Candles to Reopen in New Location

Saturday, February 6, 2010

by Jessica Crossfield
February 6, 2010

After seven years at 112 Putnam Street, Salem Candles is making a change, and so is Diane Griffin.

The shop will be moving across the street into Putnam Commons after some big changes in Griffin’s life.

“My husband died two years ago, and I recently became a guardian of my two grandchildren,” said Griffin, Salem Candles owner for the past seven years. “I just don’t have time to be here all the time.”

Griffin was afraid she was going to have to close the shop, but thanks to the help of Joe's Hotz N Brotz owner in Putnam Commons, Joe Brandjes, Griffin is able to remain open while taking some time for herself and her grandchildren.

“He needed more inventory, and I needed help,” Griffin said. “It will be so much easier for me.”

Griffin bought the shop seven years ago with her husband after working in retail at Baker & Baker Jewelers for 16 years. Her and her husband were ready for their own shop and decided to buy Salem Candles.

“I like working with people,” Griffin said about working in retail. “I really enjoy that.”

Salem Candles will be moving their inventory over to Brandjes’s bead shop in Putnam Commons. Brandjes will run and oversee the shop, and Griffin will help out and run inventory as she can.

“I will be able to come and go, but still my hand in it,” Griffin said.
Brandjes found out about Griffin’s situation and plan to close through her brother-in-law and felt he had to step in.

“He’s been really good to me,” Griffin said about Brandjes.

Salem Candles will be closing for the move from January 25-30 and will reopen at Putnam Commons at 121 Putnam Street on February 1. The shop hours will be 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Saturday.

Griffin now plans to spend more time with her grandchildren, two girls ages 2 and a half and 21 months, and take more time at home.

“I need time with them,” Griffin said. “And I think this will work out great.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Register Publishing, Inc. | 102 Putnam Street, Marietta, OH 45750 | 740-373-3791

© 2010 The Marietta Register | Design by OOruc.com