Commissioner's Race Takes Shape

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

by Callie Lyons
February 17, 2010

So far four individuals have declared their candidacy for Washington County Commissioner. Petitions for party candidates are due to the Board of Elections by Thursday at 4 pm.

As it stands now, three republicans will vie for the committee nomination to run against democrat Nate Wooley, former publisher of The Marietta Register. Wooley divested himself of Register Publishing prior to announcing his political candidacy.

Commissioner Sam Cook, who has held the office since 1998, will not run for the seat again when his term expires in December.

The three republicans in the race to date include Sidney Brackenridge, Tim Irvine, and Charles Richter – all of Little Hocking.

Richter made his announcement Saturday afternoon at the Gallery on Front Street.

“I’ve always been very active in politics and I got to the point where instead of just talking I feel it’s time for me to get involved,” Richter said.

With a professional background in economics and accounting, Richter has been looking for a job locally while driving to Columbus for work.

“I understand the economic trouble,” Richter said. “Jobs are few and far between.”

Brackenridge says he wants to contribute his experience in government and private business to benefit the county. For ten years, he was the treasurer for the Warren Local School Board and he has performed auditing work. He has been preparing for the likelihood that the seat would be open.

“I thought it was possible,” Brackenridge said. “I went to meetings and tried to learn a bit in case that happened.”

Irvine, owner of Irvine’s Camper Sales, is also entering the race in part because of Cook’s decision.

“I would not have run against Sam,” Irvine said. “I’ve been thinking about county office in recent years. I’ve been a township fiscal officer for, well, this is my twenty-third year. The timing seems good for me.”

Brackenridge and Irvine are friends who say they won’t be focusing on each other during the primary election season.

“I’m going to concentrate on my experience and go from there,” Irvine said.

Brackenridge agrees.

“I’ll be out talking and around the people,” Brackenridge said. “We’ll let people know who is running, let the people decide.”

Unless a candidate enters the race later this week, Wooley will not face a challenger for the democratic nomination in the May 4 primary election.

He says his decision to run was prompted by a desire to give his children a chance to stay put when they grow up so that they aren’t forced to leave the area to pursue good jobs.

“I think I can bring things to the table as an entrepreneur and as someone who has been keenly interested in following government for the past twenty years,” Wooley said.

Wooley sold his interest in Register Publishing last week and announced his candidacy for office this week. He said when he made the decision to pursue the county office, he decided he “could not ethically own a newspaper, run for office and hold an office”.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Register Publishing, Inc. | 102 Putnam Street, Marietta, OH 45750 | 740-373-3791

© 2010 The Marietta Register | Design by OOruc.com